Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Trip to Newport

Rose and went Newport and this time we took our GPA with us. Our first stop was the old home place of my grandparents, D.G. Allen and Emma M. Allen .I spent my childhood in Newport, and I visited them often.

These are the steps from the street to the house...
They let us come in and look around. Everything looked so familiar to me . The woodwork and the hardwood floors and beautiful mantles have been preserved.


This is the little house on Woodlawn where my grandmother moved after they sold the big house...
We stopped for a lunch break. This used to me Minnis Drugstore on Main Street...
We walked down the street to my grandfather's old store. It's now Freddy's Lounge. It was a fine department store when we lived in Newport.
Our next stop was the Newport Museum where we watched a film about Wilma Dykeman. I had donated one of Grannie's quilts to the museum and we looked for it..
Our reason for visiting Newport was to go to the Newport Library and peruse Hugh Allen's Papers.
This is the trail behind the library..JMB and I took a walk while Rose studied the Hugh Allen papers
We visited the Union Cemetery where the Allens are buried..
Laura Allen was my great grandmother...
As we were leaving Newport, we took a picture of Uncle Lynn's old sign.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Once again a wonderful review of a lovely trip!

Stacy Whalen said...

Wow! What an informative blog entry! You must have had so many mixed emotions going back to your childhood. So interesting...